PW News November 2015

PW News ~ November 2015

The arrival of November means that Thanksgiving is upon us! We are blessed in countless ways, and even though we may sometimes overlook it, PW is one of our many blessings.

Through PW, we nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study, support the mission of the church worldwide, work for justice and peace, and build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and witnesses to the promise of God’s kingdom.

Opportunities abound to participate in PW through our monthly Circles, the Joy Bible study, the Gatherings (remember the Christmas Gathering coming up on Dec. 1st!), knitting, book club, and missions.

We celebrate our thankfulness for all God’s good gifts by collecting the November Thank Offering. The PW Thank Offering provides much-needed financial assistance to numerous worthwhile programs not included in ongoing General Assembly mission support. 40% of this offering is used to support hospitals and community health programs that place priority in helping the neediest members of God’s community. The remaining 60% is used for new creative ideas for mission, undesignated in advance. The generosity of Presbyterian women and our families and congregation as demonstrated through our Thank Offering gifts help chosen recipients find real solutions for projects related to health, education, economic development and needs of women and children.

Your sister in Christ,

Beth Cotter, PW Moderator

PW Book Club

The book club will meet at the Kelly home at 7 pm on Tuesday, December 8th.  Bring your list of great books you've read and we'll share! Nan Brown will bring some refreshments; if anyone else has goodies from any events, you're welcome to potluck them in as well. Email Nan at if you have any questions.

Upcoming Bible Study Dates:

  • JOY Bible Study: Wednesdays, November 11 & December 9, at 9:45 am
  • Rebekah Circle: Tuesday, November 17, at 7 pm
  • Ruth Circle: Wednesday, November 18, at 9:45 am

PW CHRISTMAS GATHERING

YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO THE NORTHMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN’S CHRISTMAS GATHERING

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1ST, 7:00 PM

Altobeli’s Italian Restaurant and Piano Bar, 3000 Old Alabama Road, Johns Creek, GA 30022

Fixed price dinner buffet - $25.00 per person including tax and gratuity. Beverages, other than coffee service, a la carte. Please give your payment to Julee Norris, Linda Collins, Nicole Adams, or Jan Copeland by November 22 to reserve your place! Babysitting available upon request .

November Mission

Thornwell was founded in 1875 by Presbyterian minister, William Jacobs, with the goals of “providing loving homes for abused, abandoned and neglected children and offer them hope for a successful future by providing a loving family environment, educational support and teaching self advocacy”. These children’s homes are in cottages where they live with other children their age. PW will support the individual children in the Ferguson Cottage (elementary boys) throughout the year, as well as have "tags" available at each circle meeting that identify more generic things needed by the entire Thornwell community. All items can be left throughout the month in the Mission’s Box in the Fireside Room.

For our elementary boys in Ferguson Cottage, we will be collecting stocking stuffers – i.e. action figures/ small toys, gloves/socks, stickers/books, individual snacks … just be creative :) This month, more boys have joined the cottage; we are supporting Jayshunn and Spoone (4th grade), Kedrevion and Noah (3rd grade), AJ (2nd grade) and Jamie (1st grade). They still LOVE super heroes!!!! All items can be left in the Mission Box in the Fireside Room throughout the month. Thanks to everyone for all the items you have generously donated, so far. We are adding some FUN in the lives of these children!

We are also supporting the PW-sponsored Thank Offering, which gives women a tangible way to express their gratitude for the special blessings in their lives. The PW Thank Offering originated in the late 1800s with Eliza Clokey of Springfield, Ohio. Her plan was to ask each woman to give a gift in addition to her usual contribution as a “thank offering to our Lord.” Today, this offering funds projects such as agricultural development, child care, community organization, criminal justice, drug counseling, economic justice, elderly care, employment training, homelessness, literacy, violence and women’s concerns. A collection envelope will be available at each circle meeting and in the PW box.

Looking forward to a great year of giving!